The Ideal Theatre opened as a small neighborhood theater in northwest Portland in 1912. The Ideal Theatre’s façade was remodelled, the entry’s vaulted ceiling was lowered and enclosed to accomodate a sound film projection booth, and its name was changed to the Senate Theatre in 1927.
Portland’s street numbering changed in 1933.
The theater has been renamed several times through its existence. In 1930, the theater’s name was again changed to the Bluebird Theatre; in 1945 it was changed to the Elmo Theatre; in 1951 it became the Crown Theatre, which closed in 1954.
Over the ensuing years the theater portion of the building has been utilized as a warehouse and a wholesale supermarket. It is currently a commercial photography studio. The corner retail space was previously a barbershop, and is currently the location of Equinox Creative Jewelers.
References: FilmYearBook-1926 p. 568 : Oregon Historical Society website.